Signal, Not Working?
Behold the screens, their function feigned,
A siren’s call to see anew ordained.
Signal, Not Working? Is the physical extension of my graduation thesis. Consists of two transparent screens. It uses polarising filters to address the standards and norms present within public spaces polluted with electronic screens, signage, and text. It is a quest to slow down the instantaneous transmission of information that characterise these mediums. The emphasis is on how our interaction with screens changes the configuration of physical mobility. By exploding the screen, it becomes a tool where the individual can re-learn how to use sight in conjunction with their body. With a visor the visitor explores the screen and space at their own pace. By unravelling this experience, it provokes us to slow down and the discussion around sight..
- Zhao Zhou (research, concept, design, production, photography)
- Boaz van den Berg (production assistance)
- Mateusz Włodarczyk (production assistance)
- Title: Signal, Not Working?
- Year: 2022
- Materials: Glass, lcd-screen, light, steel u-profile & plate, polarizing filter, steel wire
- Dimensions: (2x) 902 x 300 x 600 mm (2x) 902 x 15 x 500 mm
Room Not Found
Graduate show, Royal Academy of Art, The Hague, NL, July 01 -05